Job Title: Volunteer Communications Assistant
Hours: 7 hours p/wk, with a commitment for 6 months from March 2018
Location: Migrants’ Rights Network (MRN), London, NW5 3AQ
Please note this is not a paid position. Lunch (£5), and travel expenses will be reimbursed upto a value of a day travelcard (£6.60).
Working closely with MRN’s Communications Officer (Fabien), the Communications Assistant (CA) will play a key role in ensuring MRN communicates regularly and effectively, in line with its role as an advocate for the rights of all migrants.
The CA will contribute to MRN’s critical and informed response to migration policies in the UK by conducting weekly news searches, selecting items worthy of being highlighted, and inputting content on MRN’s website and newsletter.
The CA will also assist in MRN’s supporting role for other migrants’ organisation by collecting and inputting events, job adverts or partner notifications on the relevant MRN web pages/newsletter.
There is scope for the volunteer to contribute to editing blog posts by MRN contributors or partners, to planning content for MRN’s social media feeds, and to shaping specific campaigns.
Duties may include:
- Weekly round-up and selection of news items relating to migration and migration policies in the UK, and elsewhere if relevant.
- Writing summaries of some news items or reports for MRN website, using multiple news sources where possible.
- Weekly round-up of partner notices, job adverts and events (from MRN inboxes or beyond).
- Inputting content on website (in particular events, job adverts and notices).
- Analyse and report audience information and demographics, and success of existing social media projects
- Propose new ideas and concepts for social media content
Equal opportunities is one of MRN’s guiding principles for recruitment. We value different backgrounds, styles and stories as an enrichment to our team. We welcome all sexual, gender, ethnic/racial and religious identities, and endeavour to provide a supportive environment for people with disabilities.
- Applicants should be comfortable writing for a broad audience on issues that can sometimes be sensitive or technical
- Ideally some experience of copy-writing and proof-reading
- Ideally experience of research
- A rough understanding of website tools would be helpful
- Creative experience very welcome, including work with design programmes to create visual content
- Experience of social media management desirable
To apply please email no more than a two-page (1,000 words MAX) covering letter stating why you want to be a part of the MRN team and how you meet the role specification, along with a copy of your recent CV.
Submit your application via email by 9 March 2018 to [email protected]. Interviews will be held in the two weeks following.
Please use the following title in the subject line: “Volunteer Communications Assistant’
Please note that we do will only contact applicants that have been shortlisted as we do not have the capacity to respond to every person who submits an application.